Sunday, February 19, 2012

Escaping Studio: Exploring Oregon


The Start to a Great Adventure


            Amazing things do come from too many hours in Studio staring at AutoCAD model space. Other than of course precise beautiful construction documents. The need to get some fresh air and get away becomes overwhelming. 


           Setting out with no real plan other than a direction and a mission: to experience a new place each weekend. I've never done this before mainly because planning a real trip takes time and money which are always devoted to school. Since purchasing a truck, I realized two things: that going anywhere I could think of was possible on a whim and large mud tires with a little bit of a lift is a great ice breaker for meeting people. Most of the experience i've had of the greater Oregon landscape comes from I-5. I use it to get home to the San Juan Islands in WA. The trip usually consists of an overly stuffed car, two chatty cats and a lot of cafine and very few stops. This was not what I wanted for my adventure this weekend, I would choose a direction and go as far as I can in a day. 


Supplies:
- 1 Toyota Tacoma with 6" lift and big mud tires.
- 1 Camera + 4GB memory card
- 2 sketchbooks
- A bottle of water and a few granola bars
- Adventures attitude and willingness to be impulsive


Mission: 
- Set out in one direction
- Go only as far as can be retraced in that day (no over nights yet)
- experience as much as possible along the way 
- have fun

 
          I choose to head West, into the on coming storm and drive as far as my truck would take me! It should be noted that Top Gear (a British tv show) proved toyota tacoma's make wonderful boats. I don't think i'll test mines aquatic abilites though.

Here's to the start of many adventures!



No comments:

Post a Comment